Sunday, May 18, 2014

Kamry K100

Today, I'll be reviewing the Kamry K100 mechanical mod kit. The good guys at 101vape had it in stock at the very affordable price of 29.99, plus shipping. Overall a great company to do business with. You can expect lightning quick shipping and personable customer service. 





The kamry k100 was my initial foray into mechanical mods. It has an affordable price tag, comes with batteries and a charger, and has generally positive reviews. Initially I was a fan, but after using other equipment, it seems to be an entry level device and nothing more. 

The Kamry K100 is a telescoping fully mechanical mod. It supports 18650, 18490, and 18350 batteries. Due to its telescopic nature, it can support a kick. It is constructed of stainless steel and sports a very bland decision, one that has no engravings or etchings. This could be appeal to some, but I prefer a bit more personalization. It has a 510 connection surrounded by an evod cone well, which is nice because it will support a wide variety of clearomizers-glassomizers. 

What I like about the Kamry K100


  • Affordability
    You cannot argue with a 29.99 price tag, even if it's contents (such as batteries and charger) are of a lower quality. Outside of an m16 clone, you'd be hard priced finding a mech mod state side with such an attractive price. 

  • Ease of use
     The connector is a standard 510 to ego, so there isn't a need to adjust a center pin. The switch is spring loaded and fairly strong, eliminating the need for a magnetic upgrade. 

  • BUILD QUALITY.
    If you're a fan of stainless, you'll appreciate the heft this mod affords. It has a lot of weight behind it and feels sturdy. Outside of that, I do have a few gripes with the build,  leading to.. 


What I do not like about the Kamry K100


  • Bulky
    In my opinion it is unnecessarily bulky. It doesn't slide in and out of my pockets. It is fairly heavy to be carrying around all day. 


  • Telescopic threading
     I am not a fan of telescoping, due to its strenuous nature. As this is a clone of the Empire mod, it doesn't sport superior craftsmanship. This is soon apparent if you frequently switch from 18650 to 18350. The threading feels delicate and I noticed a bit more crunchiness than I'm comfortable dealing with. This could be a deal breaker for those who constantly switch out batteries. 


  • Reverse threading lock ring
    Again, I am no fan of this particular design. The k100 in particular seems prone to cross threading. I have had the locking ring cross threaded and, in most cases, a new switch is required. In order to avoid this, I'd recommend particular caution locking and unlocking this mod. With just a bit more force than normal you may find yourself unable to lock, or unlock,  your mod. 


  • Packaging contents 
    As the saying goes, you get what you pay for, and the k100 kit is a prime example. The batteries are kamry branded IMRs. I believe they're rejects, rewrapped with the manufacturer logo. With mechanical mods, you do not want to skimp on battery quality. I personally would only recommended using these in a pinch, if at all. The included charger is of poor quality as well. It has no instructions, so users will have to troubleshoot it via the Internet. It takes hours to charge, and after only three uses, it completely quit working. I have also read reports and heard first hand it has overcharged batteries, as well as overheated during a charge, both serious issues. The included cartomizers are poor as well. They leak profusely, as well as produce burnt tasting hits. I have had no luck with them. 

Overall, I would advise those interested to explore another Avenue. Save for a higher quality mod, or pick up a similarly priced Nemesis clone. The Kamry is functional, it is inviting, but it is a one trick pony. If you're on a tight budget, it may serve your needs, but it is my personal opinion that an upgrade will be desired shortly. 

If you absolutely decide you would like the k100, I'd recommend purchasing just the mod. You do not need the batteries or charger, and you may find a better price point. 

The K100, unfortunately, does not get the vapocalyptic STAMP of approval. 

No comments:

Post a Comment