Monday, May 26, 2014

Magma by Infinite RDA

The good guys at 101vape sent me out a very lovely RDA, and I have to say I am impressed. The Magma by Infinite is an exceptionally well made clone, a definitive top of the line performer. Head on over to 101vape, they're in stock now but by all accounts they should be going quick!


                                  
The specifications 
304 grade surgical stainless steel
22mm diameter
dual direct to coil airflow
Air flow control (1mm, 2mm, 3mm)
no o-rings
dome chamber design
deep juice well (holds up to 40ml of juice, roughly 2ml)
two poles welded to the base for durability 


So let's get on to what I like!





  • Packaging
Not much to say here; but I do like divulging. The magma comes securely packaged in a nice box sporting the Infinite logo. Inside, you will find two pre-wrapped coils, two screws, a miniature screwdriver, and the magma itself. Keep in mind, this is an advanced device, so those who are new to the rebuild-able atomizer world will have to do their diligent research as no manual is provided.






  • Build quality
Now this is where the tank truly excels. First and foremost, it is a clone. The authentic version will run you upwards 110.00. I have had a chance to see an original, and I can attest to the fine tuned workmanship that went into the device. The clone is no differentThe threading is butter smooth; sure to propitiate the proprietors of the original. A very precise amount of detail was put into the machining, the domed top cap being a testament. When you consider the amount of work required in supplying such a clearance in a block of stainless steel, you can't help but appreciate the effort put forth. I'd like to note that the domed cap will accept a variety of  510 drip tips, the majority of which seat securely.

Another facet I simply adore is the juice well. It is quite deep, and the manufacturer specifications list it as holding roughly 2ml of juice, or around 40 drops. For a dripper, well topped off it leaks very, very little. Those who have experience dripping will know that certain designs can leak like a sieve. Thankfully, this isn't the case. Now even with the best of wicking material and coil build, it is quite possibly a minimal leak will happen. Exercise caution when threading your wick material within the juice well, and keep a close eye when you fill. The leaks I have experienced have been quite minimal and hardly worth noting.

This air flow control ring is removable and also manufactured quite well. It slides freely in either direction, locks into place when the dome is seated, and offers a range of air flow control. I'll touch more on this later, but I do like how it doesn't stick, and it the fact that it hasn't cross threaded on me (nor shows no sign of.) I also like the fact that the holes have been drilled nicely, which will eliminate the need to re drill to a better liking.

The posts are welded to the deck and not only does this offer better conductivity, it offers a bit more reliability when working with the small enclosure that is afforded. From what I can tell, the welding was done well and it shows no signs of slack, nor does it giveaway when twisting and pulling your coils in and out.

Overall, this is a very, very well made clone. With 1:1 configurations, it is typical some facet of the design can and usually will fall through, one way or another. I've built a variety of coil configurations, tweaked the airflow control diligently, tested the threading and tried it on a variety of devices. In a side by side comparison, it would be hard differentiating. Staying away from clone ethics, this is quite a sight to behold.

  • Appearance
    Another brief section, but this is a very sleek atomizer. The stainless steel construction paired with the MAGMA and PARADIGM logo compliment a stainless steel mod wonderfully. It is as if this RDA was built for the Tree of Life, as you can tell in the attached picture. Gorgeous.




  • FunctionalityNow we get down to brass tacks of the review. Any RDA can evince with style; captivate with ease. A well made product can suffer a multitude of faults that compromise it's commendable structural integrity. I'm happy to say that this RDA functions as well as it looks, if not better.

First thing I would like to talk about is the air flow ring. The airflow ring is free spinning, however it has to be locked into place. When the top cap is removed and the air flow control ring has been inserted, the top cap must be screwed down to lock it into place. When this is complete, the ring will not budge. Now in order to alternate between diameters, you have to lightly unscrew the top cap, backing off just a touch. I've had trouble coming to terms with airflow control rings that can spin freely in my pocket; this is not an issue here. The airflow control ring offers 1, 2, and 3mm diameter  configurations. I settle on three, because I prefer an airy draw. However 1 and 2 are also quite comfortable to use, as I find that 2 maximizes the flavor profile, and 1 replicates a very tight draw. The airflow ring also allows you to set it up in either a dual coil or single coil configuration.

The next thing I'd like to speak about is the juice resevoir. As I previously mentioned, it is generous in size, more-so than your traditional RDA. The surrounding walls do provide a tight enclosure, so caution must be made when filling as to not to overfill or waste any juice.  It is in my experience that a variety of wicks sit comfortably within the well (something a lot of people prefer not to do) and I have yet to experience any gurgling, of any kind. Alongside the outer ridge of the well, you will notice two holes, your airflow intake. The overall design is very intuitive, as every coil configuration you make should sit directly above these holes. This maximizes airflow, sufficiently allowing air to pass through the coil as intended.

Now with the magma, you can only work with two posts, so this might be off putting to those who are fond of intricate coil designs. I myself run it dual coil most of the time and have had no trouble installing a .5 ohm dual coil, using 30g kanthal and cotton. I like that the posts are secure and a good distance above the air flow holes. Due to it's nature, the welding provides an additional layer of stability as well as security when working on the deck. The aforementioned screws fit snug and secure, however they are incredibly small so keep on a close eye on them when you're working on a new build.

The domed top cap provides a vape I have yet to experience; as it fills with smoke it puts out a distinctively unique draw. It is hard to explain, but instead of your typical "sucking" it is as if you can tell that the air is spinning around. I found it difficult going back to standard atomizers, due to this unique offering.

Due to the posts being welded, attaching coil configurations is a breeze. I have hard trouble in the past with various devices, yet I am able to recoil this within seconds. It is nice knowing that if I am in a pinch and have the tools handy I can bust out a nice coil without sinking too much time or effort into the affair.

This RDA is 22mm in diameter so it is a flush fit on a majority of mechs.



  •  Performance
    This RDA affords me a luxury I did not think possible. Without a doubt it is as close to providing a "perfect" vape, both in it's function and performance. My standard build is a .5 ohm 30g kanthal dual coil configuration. After I installed my coil of choice, set the airflow to 3mm, threaded the top cap and installed I was blown away.The flavor production is IMPECCABLE. So much so that I was tempted to rewick it and try out every juice I own! I was even inclined to drip juice I do not like, just to see if I could get a better profile. With coils that sit above the airflow holes, as well as a domed top cap, it provides a performance you will be hard pressed finding elsewhere. The way the vapor converges in the dome leads to entirely different experience; I truly believe today was the first day I have ever TASTED MY JUICE! It is worth noting that I retain the same reception running a single coil configuration, so to all those out there who prefer that, have a go! It is truly second to none, I say this as a variety of tanks sit on my desk. Sit in shame, I say! You can keep your kayfuns, your patriots, your nautilus, your aerotanks, just leave me my MAGMA.

    Alongside the wondrous flavor, I was also anticipating quite a plume of vapor. This should be expected at the sub ohm level, and this RDA delivered. A three second draw was almost debilitating, I would not recommend taking a direct lung hit. As my lips broke away and my eyes focused to the cloud before me, I was giddy with glee.

    Now to those out that who do not subo hm, I was also able to achieve noteworthy performance using a 1.5ohm dual coil, as well as 1.5 ohm single micro coil. Though the vapor production is decidedly less, the flavor production does not falter whatsoever. I would definitely recommend this dripper to those who shy away from coiling building, as I'll admit I saw very little point when deviating from the sub ohm realm. Thankfully the magma corrected my poor perception, and I believe it will entice others with it's wide range of capability. 

Now, I will get on to what I do not like

  •  510 connection length
    The 510 post is incredibly long, and unfortunately can give trouble in mechanical mod pairing. I personally do not own a mod that has a problem with it, however I do know that the caravela requires quite a bit of adjustment, and that the nemesis suffers from a very slight gap. I presume this will be an issue with those who have an extensive assortment of mods, so it is best pairing it with something befitting.
  • Dome cap juice pools
    When you use a wick that is within close proximity to the domed cap, juice can condensate within it's walls. I find that this can also happen if you lay your RDA on it's side, or constantly change it's positioning. When this happens, the juice has a tendency to funnel down into the decks air flow openings and leaking outside the airflow control ring. It can also leak when removed, dripping all over the ring and down the side of your device.
Overall, I am impressed overall. The Magma Paradigm, cloned by Infinite, boasts superior craftsmanship, innovative design, and delivers divine flavor production and sizable clouds of vapor. I am in the process of phasing out numerous tank systems, anticipating another Magma purchase or two. I would like to thank 101vape for giving me the opportunity to review the device, and as well as the creators of the Magma. It was a pleasure working alongside 101vape and I will continue to throw copious amounts of money at them. 

Questions or concerns? Feel free to fill out the box to your right or add me on facebook. I'd love to hear back from the community. You can also follow me on twitter @_vapocalyptic, or find me on the electronic-cigarette-forum, @vapocalyptic. As always, vape strong and live long! 

4 comments:

  1. Is this clone by infinite made from 304 surgical grade stainless steel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vapesourcing is a company that produces electronic cigarettes, cartridges, e-liquids and more. The company is headquartered in China, and offers live chat, email and telephone customer service options to consumers. Buy good product in https://vapesourcing.com/ijoy-combo-srda.html

    ReplyDelete