Monday, May 19, 2014

Innokin VTR

Today, I received my Innokin Itaste VTR from the nice guys at worldofvape. You simply can't argue with free shipping and always low pricing, and as a new customer, I have nothing but positive things to say about the company. I will be ordering from them in the future.

Before I begin the interview, I'd like to outline some manufacturer specs, to give you a full idea of what you're working with alongside my initial impression.

Features in Brief:
Variable Voltage: 3.0 – 6.0 volts
Variable Wattage: 3.0 – 15.0 W
Short Circuit Protection;
RMS (root mean square);
Reverse Battery Protection Circuit;
Resistive Load Detection (Ohms meter);
ON/OFF battery switch;
LED Battery Power Display;
Low Voltage Warning;
Overtime Vaping Warning (10 second switch cutoff);
Battery safety protection (Vent holes);
High compatibility 510/eGo connector:  Built-in 3 digit display (Ohms meter, Volts /Watts, Atomizer voltage output)
Replaceable Battery: iTaste VTR supports 18650 batteries (unprotected)


 As far as my initial impression goes, I am quite impressed with the unit all around! Here's what I do like


  •  Build quality
The device, to be blunt, is an absolute tank. It is constructed out of stainless steel and has got to be the heaviest mod that has graced my hands. It weighs in at nearly 14 oz, and it is considerably noticeable in comparison to your standard mechanical, or the MVP in particular. It feels solid, it feels durable, it feels that it commands a longevity that a lot of other PV's in it's price range do not offer. Those with smaller hands may be turned off, as it is slightly bulkier than the MVP. I am a definite fan of the heft, but I can understand and do believe a lot will be rather encumbered carrying it around all day.

The button placement is extremely comfortable. Instead of being in the middle of the device, it sits on the side. I find that in my hand, it is easier to fire the device with my ring finger than my thumb, as I would fire other boxed mods.

It can read the resistance of coils, as well as display an indicator in relation to the level of your battery. Quite useful, if not entirely accurately (I've noticed the ohms are usually off by .1-.2)

However, they're a few things about it I do NOT like, which I will cover later.

  • Performance
Compared to devices in it's price range, as well as the MVP, the VTR exceeded my initial expectations. With the ability to increase wattage to 15, and voltage to 6, those coming from VV/VW devices with lower values will be pleasantly surprised. Provided you have the right atomizer setup, you will notice thicker smoke, as well as a slight increase in flavor. It does not overheat, and I have had only 1 dry hit, but that was due to a higher than required wattage    
    
  • Packaging
 I am a huge fan of cases. In fact, I will often purchase something simply because I like the box that it comes in. I absolutely admire companies that provide quality hard storage cases alongside their product. In my opinion, it makes me truly feel that I bought something of quality. Something that I want to protect, something that I want to store with pride. The box has a velvet lining where you will find your VTR, extension tube, manual and tank. It locks with a clasp. It is constructed of metal, and it is very, very attractive.


Nice, isn't it?


  • Looks
I was surprised when I opened it, as I expected it to be massive compared to my MVP 2.0. To my surprise, it is a bit more compact in size, but it does retain extra depth. The stainless steel it is constructed out of shines brightly. The overall sleek, compact, and elegant design should catch quite a few eyes.

  • Removable battery

What a welcome addition. As an MVP owner, I know that one day, my MVP will cease to be. This is because the battery is not user replaceable. The MVP is utterly disposable. The VTR, however, altered that landscape, and for that I am ecstatic. So long as caution is exercised, (such as avoiding dropping, or abusing your VTR) and you have an 18650 battery, you will have peace of mind knowing your mod will not gradually diminish in quality, only to one day fail to charge, or boot up.
Now, that is what I like about the VTR. What I unfortunately do not like...

  • Rotational wheel

Innokin has since ditched the rotational wheel in favor of a stationary wheel. However, a lot of vendors currently keep the rotational wheel in stock. Therefore it is tantamount that you contact your supplier and verify whether it is a generation 1, or generation 2, model.

Straight out of the box, the rotational wheel stuck. It needed a liberal amount of rubbing alcohol to rotate smoothly. However, I recognize the severe construction flaw. It seems that it is prone to sticking and refusing to turn. I can expect with one too many alterations, it will break, or worse yet, stick. A terrible design, the stationary wheel should have been the initial standard. As of now, it isn't giving me too much trouble, but I can't expect that it will improve in the future.
  • Protective skeleton/metal ring
The VTR sports a unique design. As you will no doubt notice in the provided pictures, instead of simply screwing in your tank of choice, you must thread it through a protective metal ring. The tank will than screw and tighten into the 510 connection. The included Iclear 30S fits like a glove. I've found that most variations of the protank (such as 2, pt3 mini, and aerotank) also it as well. When paired with a tank that meets the diameter of the ring, it boasts an intricate and innovative design. However, if your tank will not thread through, you must use the included 510 extension tube. It is long, it is bulky, and it adds an unnecessary amount of real estate. This is a severe disappointment, because I appreciate variety, and I value tanks such as the Kayfun and the Nautilus. Due to the need of the 510 connector, when I want to use my Nautilus or Kayfun, I am left with a ridiculously large looking, obtrusive tube with an equally large tank attached to it.


Isn't that wild...?

Overall, it is a well made box mod, that exceeds performance expectations. The fact that is it plagued by ridiculous design is disappointing, however if you can commit to using tanks that fit, or deal with the extended length of the extension tube, you will find yourself right at home. I would recommend this product to those who own the MVP and to those who do not, if only because of the user replaceable battery. For that, alongside the great functionality and wonderful packaging, I give the Innokin Itaste VTR the Vapocalyptic STAMP of approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment