Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Aspire Nautilus

Today, I will be covering the Aspire Nautilus. As a lot of you have come to know, it has quite a following in the community. It is often regarded as one of, if not, the highest quality clearomizer/glassomizer on the market. In my review, I'll give you the run down, as well as my personal gripes with the tank. Is it worth the price tag it commands? Read on.


First, some basic specs

Adjustable airflow
Beauty ring
5ml capacity
Pyrex tank
Stainless steel construction
Removable 510 drip tip
Bottom dual coil design (BDC)
1.6 coil (pre-installed) with spare 1.8 coil


Here is what I do like about the tank.

  • Large capacity
This tank isn't taking any prisoners on this one, instead, opting to go all out. With a full 5ml capacity, the majority of vapers are likely to get through the day, if not multiple, on one tank of juice. I, however, appreciate variety, and often find it hard to commit to an entire 5ml of juice. This is why I usually bring quite a few tanks, and PV's, with me. Those who don't have this problem will embrace the capacity, as the time in between fill ups is significantly increased.

  • Adjustable airflow
I am a big fan of adjustable airflow, this is no secret. Once you're accustomed to a tank that lets you alter the degree of air passing over the coil; it is hard to go back to a tank that does not afford the luxury. The aspire offers four different sized holes, going from an extremely tight draw, to a draw that is beyond airy. In comparison to it's direct competitor, the aerotank (which I am a fan of) it absolutely sets the standard in airflow control. The smallest hole compared to the largest hole is a night and day difference. I also admire the design. If you have used the aerotank, you're familiar with the ascending/descending air flow mechanism. With the nautilus, you simply turn a steel ring in either direction. You don't have to worry about cross threading, or a stuck ring. I appreciate the peace of mind this type of construction affords.

  • Vapor production
Outside of a rebuildable tank, it is going to be a tough challenging the nautiluses vapor production. On the airiest setting, I was fogging my work area. Nothing is more satisfying than watching a dense, creamy cloud of smoke pour from your nose and mouth. Even on the tightest setting, the nautilus still manages to blow smoke like a train.

Now let's get on to what I do not like about the tank...



  • Overall design
I have quite a few gripes with this tank, and unfortunately, I don't know if what I like about it is enough to save it from the issues I do have. The first issue I have is the threaded, upper pyrex. Instead of seating with an o-ring, which is replaceable, the glass is threaded and the mouthpiece screws on. While it isn't often you will be removing the mouth piece, threaded pyrex is delicate.  The nautilus especially so, as the pyrex feels thin and extremely prone to breaking. One misthread, just the tiniest over excretion, and you are left with a cracked tank.

The rubber seal within the tank. I cannot stand this thing for quite a few reasons. The first being, I am a big fan of cinnamon juices. I love Horchata and Fire Ball in particular, both known to shred plastic tanks. Cinnamon doesn't exactly react well with rubber, either. A quick youtube search will bring up a multitude of videos showing e-juice containing a high amount of cinnamon eating through the rubber seal. Without the rubber seal, you will need an entirely new base. Pyrex affords the user the luxury of using any juice. This handicap is inexcusable, and I don't see why they deviated from a standard o-ring construction.

Obnoxious logo. If you're anything at all like me, you like subtly. You prefer things to match, to compliment one another. For instance, a nice, compact RDA sitting flush atop a mech mod of similar design. It's beautiful, isn't? Well it's hard to retain the subtly with a tank that has ASPIRE NAUTILUS in gigantic lettering on one side of the pyrex. I'm all for advertising, as well as brand recognition, but I feel that this could have been done in better taste. Perhaps a smaller design, perhaps a different location, but it just screams "look at me. LOOK AT ME!"

The last design gripe I have is the way that the coil sits in the seat. I'm not sure if it is within the seat, or within the chimney, but more often than not, during a coil switch I have had multiple coils dislodge in the chimney. I keep everything finger tight, and I still have ran into the issue. I believe it because the pressure required to release the top part of the tank from the rubber seal. This creates a vacuum that can dislodge the coil within the chimney. The first nautilus I had, a coil was so stuck in the chimney I actually cracked the glass trying to dislodge it. Mind you, this was after a small spat with a pair of pliers. 

  • Price
The aspire is an expensive beast, and unjustifiably so. Outside of the airflow control, it does little to set it aside from tanks in it's price range. Not only are the coils a pain to rebuild due to the filler material surrounding the coil itself, the coils are expensive. Most vendors sell them at 17.99, however you can catch them between 9.99-11.95. The replacement glass can run you upwards of 10.99 as well. When you compare it to the Kayfun by EHPRO, (often found between 36.99-39.99) I simply can not justify the usual 34.99 price tag.

  • Flavor

This, sadly, was the biggest disappointment. Initially, I expected flavors that would amount to a rebuildable tank, or at the very least come close. Sadly, it was not the case. The amount of vapor this tank can produce is unfortunately quite dull and tasteless. I attribute this to the poor design of the coils. Outside of the box, flavor is acceptable, but the coils cannot keep up with the pace. They often become weak, and give off a slight burnt taste with every hit. Due to the nature of the coil design, it is extremely difficult to dry burn the coil without permanently burning the cotton filler material. I will not go into rewicking and recoiling, because it is an extreme pain in the rear. A small space to work with, as well as filler material to adhere to, or do without, leads to a frustrating long, painful experience.

Due to the frustrating design, outlandish logo, user rebuildability and coil replacements, I unfortunately cannot in good conscience recommend this tank. While it does produce a fair amount of vapor, and holds a respectable amount of juice, it's price point does not justify the hassles I have suffered.

3 comments:

  1. Using a 19. 6-pound flywheel along with a good 18-inch pace, your Nautilus E514c Elliptical Trainer is often a fundamental exercise machine which gives you an excellent workout in your house. You are able to pick from sixteen numbers of over unity magnetic weight for maximum aspire nautilus mini intensity of your respective services. You will discover six to eight progressing details so that you can look at also. Thus giving a person a level advanced associated with customization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe aspire nautilus 2 is one powerful e cigs, that produces more vapor than you'll ever need. On the other hand, it is quite a simple product as well, really easy to use. To sum it up, sony 18650 battery works great and lasts for a long time. Definitely our #1 pick in vapesourcing and we vape it all the time.

    ReplyDelete